Salt Spring Island Archives

Marshall Sharp / 805014c

Home Next

MV  George S. Pearson
January 1966 George S. Pearson

Official Number: 195801
Built by Skansie Brothers, Gig Harbor, WA as Wollochet, 1925. Later renamed Fox Island. Washington Navigation Co 1925-1942; Horluck Transportation 1942-1947; Olympic Ferries Inc 1947-1955;
As George S. Pearson ferry begins service between Vesuvius and Crofton; Gulf Island Ferries 1955-1961; BC Ferries 1961-66.
Gross tons: 177  Net tons:180 Length: 90.6 Beam 32.3 Draft: 9.4 GM single diesel engine, 220 hp. Speed: 9 knots Passengers: 134 Cars: 18
Final dispositon: Unknown.  Sold in 1966, presumably as a fish camp.  No record of her after that.

805014c

GEO. S. PEARSON RETIRED Driftwood January 27, 1966
The Geo.S.Pearson takes her last runs across Stuart Channel between Vesuvius and Crofton this week. Her replacement, is the Vesuvius Queen"a sister ship to the "Salt Spring Queen." now operating on the Fulford/Swartz Bay run.

The Geo.S.Pearson was acquired as a B.C. Ferry some years ago. Built in Washington State she was in service there for a number of years operated by a private company. At that time she was known as the "Fox Island."
When she was purchased and put in service in B. C.her name was changed to the "Geo. S. Pearson" in honor of a famous B.C.politician of the day.
Even though her name has seemed somewhat incongruous for a vessel, "she" has served hundreds of travellers true and well.
Her disposition is not immediately known but it is expected that she will still see service in another location.



Collection Marshall Sharp fond Accession number 805014c
Location Salt Spring Archives Dimension 5.7cm X5.7cm
Date

January,1966

Extent and Physical Description B&W negative
Responsibility Marshall Sharp    
Source Betty Taylor    

Home Next